8 replies to this topic

#1 Lee V

Lee V

No mates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

hello chaps, i have been thinking about moving onto slicks for this season, i used a set of bridgsstones a few years ago and was amazed how much more grip i had, i dropped 2 secs off my laptime

now my pace has improved a little since then, i am thinking about goin to slicks for several reasons, but 1 of them being that they are alot cheaper than treaded tyres,.

but before i take the plunge i would appreciate a little advice from those of you have been using slicks for some time

I have seen that raceteck compK slicks are going for about £230 a pair, are they the same tyre as the treaded version, and would i find any real benefit to running them?, do they last longer than treaded tyres,

any advice either way would be greatly appreciated

cheers
Lee

#2 mark evans

mark evans

Too much time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

There not race tyres mate
rookie 600 2009

#3 Lee V

Lee V

No mates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

ok, so what would you reccomend if using slicks, or should i just stick with the treaded tyres, as only doing trackdays, as i cant afford to do full race weekends

#4 mark evans

mark evans

Too much time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

Personally I use racetecs but the new Bridgestone are meant to be ok and cheaper than everything else, oh yeah and longer lasting if you can get the setup right. don't worry about slicks until there is nobody faster on threaded tyres (never)
rookie 600 2009

#5 ZX10R-RACER

ZX10R-RACER

No mates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

The compk is fine for racing , its sold as a slick for trackdays and club racer.
Just depends what you want from your racing , if you go just for the fun there fine , if you want to be the next champ use "sc pirelli/ metzeler slicks"

same tyre as the pirelli superbike pro

#6 Lee V

Lee V

No mates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:12 AM

thaks for the reply chaps, i am using the r10's at the moment and getting good enough results with them, will probably just stick with them for now.
as i am only do track days,
I was just curious to see if there was any real benefit to swapping to slicks

Lee

#7 gixerk3burt

gixerk3burt

Chatty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes that's it

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

thaks for the reply chaps, i am using the r10's at the moment and getting good enough results with them, will probably just stick with them for now.
as i am only do track days,
I was just curious to see if there was any real benefit to swapping to slicks

Lee

#8 skippy79

skippy79

No mates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:28 AM

if you swap to slicks, don't bother swapping for the crappy compK or pirelli sbk Pro's.... they are tires made for lasting, you could do 2 endurance races with one set of tires.

Eithers stay with the R10's or swap for a decent slick
either the racetec slick K2 or K3 or the pirelli sbk slick SC1,2 or 3 or don't really bother.

I have never risen the bridgestone slicks, but have been told they're not too bad either.

#9 Lee V

Lee V

No mates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

thanks again chaps, have decided to stick with R10's for a while,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users