• advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Are the rumours true about Rossi?

31 posts in this topic

Posted

Is he setting up a Yamaha Coca-Cola team?

Can't really find much but the Italian sites are all reporting it.

Anyone know more?

Posted

the Italian sites are all reporting it.

I think you've answered your own question there! No chance.

The bike may be an issue, but the bigger issue is with Valentino. Sad really that his fall from grace has been so dramatic, but it was always going to happen.

Posted

Well I'm sort of hoping it's true.

Best thing to do when rider doesn't get along with bike/team is walk away before the very last drop of confidence has gone.... although that probably isn't so true for Vale.

Posted

I think there's three problems for Vale. 1) The bike clearly isn't working, 2) He's Italian, and 3) He's old.

I'll start with #3 as that's probably the most important. I thought Doohan was the best ever, mainly because I grew up watching him and he just had this aura about him that he would always win. He seemed unbeatable. But Rossi did what Mick never did, which was leave Honda and make Yamaha a winner. Since Vale did that, in my eyes, he became the best ever. Roberts, Ago, Hailwood etc were before my time.

But, even greats only have their own era to rule. Vale ruled Max, ruled Sete. He had them covered nine times out of ten. Even when he lost the title to Nicky in 2006, it was down to a lot of bad luck and Rossi was still the fastest guy out there. It all changed in 2007. Rossi hasn't been the fastest guy in MotoGP since then. First Stoner, then Lorenzo, took the fight to him and it was clear that these were the guys who would eventually beat Rossi as they all got older. It was inevitable. What was interesting was how long Rossi could keep winning for.

In 2008 Stoner was still the quickest but Rossi was close enough and genius did the rest. Casey wasn't quite mature enough upstairs. See Laguna Seca. In 2009 Jorge really came of age. Rossi again won on genius, not outright pace. See Barcelona.

But clearly he was finding it harder and harder because the younger guys were getting better and better. I think Lorenzo would have still won in 2010 even without Rossi's injuries. And I think he went to Ducati because he no longer believed he could beat Lorenzo on the same bike, but he did think he could develop a bike better than Lorenzo or Stoner could, which seemed a reasonable thing to say given his years at Yamaha.

Turns out, the Ducati really is a beast. That's where point #2 comes in. The Italian comment will probably upset any Italians on the forum, and I mean it slightly tongue-in-cheek, probably more that he's latin rather that specifically Italian. But when it aint working there are two routes - see Nicky Hayden or see Marco Melandri. Hayden, never the most naturally gifted or fastest rider but a fighter to the last, rode the wheels off that bike at the weekend. Never gave up, gave it absolutely 100%. Rossi just quit. For me that was really disappointing from such a great champion. I fear Rossi will become another Melandri - dispirited and broken.

If Rossi quits Ducati he may as well quit GP's and go back to beating Biaggi and Checa. He won't win on a Yamaha because he can't touch Lorenzo anymore and he won't win on a Honda because he can't touch Stoner anymore.

It's nothing against Vale, time just moves on. In the same way that Rossi would have been the end of Mick's career had Mick not had his crash, and Stoner / Lorenzo are the end of Rossi, in a few years time when Stoner & Lorenzo have three titles each, we'll be saying the same about them as Marquez, Vinales etc come through to MotoGP.

Time waits for no man and all that.

Oli

Posted

na give him yam/honda he's win.. age!! naa dont buy into that one

Posted

Well Lorenzo had him beat in 2010 and he was on a Yamaha then.......

Posted

Rossi was injured otherwise he would have kicked lorenzos ass!! I actually agree with oli but don't want to admit it!! Very sad. :-(

Posted

Agree with Oli myself his bets days are long gone hoepfully he gets out without spoiling his legacy.

Posted

Hmmm, you have some valid points Oli, but I still believe the Ducati plays the major part. Put him on a better bike and I still think he would give Lorenzo a run for his money. Not saying he would win every race, but he'd be up there. Trying, week in, week out, to ride a bike that just doesn't want to play ball is sole destroying and I would hate to see him go out on that note.

Posted

There have only been two people that have proved they can ride the thing. Casey Stoner and Troy Baylis. Anyone else, forget it.

As for Rossi you dont become a bad rider overnight, but has the Ducati sucked all the ambition from him?

Now is the time for Rossi to bow out gracefully while we still remember how good he was.

I still wouldn't mind a go though? Cant be that bad can it? :-)

Posted

I agree with Oli (to a point), but then I do think if Rossi was on his Yamaha we wouldn't be having this conversation!

Look at the last few years;

2006 - the Yam broke down more than finished

2007 - that Ducati was fast, Casey was nuts and the Yam was still unreliable

2008 - best VR46 year ever

2009 - came close to 2008

2010 - Rossi broke his leg, but he still kept Lorenzo on his toes Stoner was AWOL!

2011 - The Ducati era started and Stoner would have won no matter what (that hurts to say too).

Rossi has come from an age where his advantage was his ability to develop a bike and ride around a problem!

Stoner crashed himself fast and Lorenzo got on the best bike in the paddock.....setup by whom??

Now, these up and coming "kids" are the electronics age...look at Stoners data trace to see him just pin the throttle and let the Magneti Marrelli deal with the rest! Rossi's bike still uses the least amount of traction compared to the other two!

Stoner is the best Moto GP rider atm (if only he had character), but Lorenzo has a determination that only the italians and spanish have where they can step above their talent at will.

Last season was the first year he didnt win a race....well you dont just get older overnight (pardon the pun) so whats gone wrong? That bike looks a pig to ride and for a rider who relies so heavily on the front it just isnt working! Rossi's laps at the end of the race would have had him 6th!! Barbera also used him for a berm a few laps in!

I'm a VR46 fan through and through so I will always have a bias, but if you put him that LCR Honda, Tech Yam or Marco's old bike...you would get your 4th Alien back!

Put £50 on it too......VR46 is a bit down that its not the dream partnership everyone said it would be!

Hailwood went away for years and remeber him for his resurgance more than his "first" career.....winners dont like not winning!

I think he is desperate for that 8th title too!!

Posted

Would have to disagree with you on a few points there rvf,in the words of Barry Sheene "he couldn't develop a cold let alone a motorcycle" and he certainly can't ride round problems anymore.

Lorenzo had his number so he left Yamaha and Casey in fact uses the least amount of TC.

To me his hearts not in it I think he's doing a Blancpain endurance race which makes me think he's not that dedicated be a shame if he has a bitter end to his GP career but I see no way out he's burnt his bridges.

Posted

Could he end his contract with Ducati ?

Would there be small print to opt out if the bike is " not good enough " ??

Posted

I agree with some of the points raised already, apart from the suggestion he is too old.

The late great Joey Dunlop raced and beat far younger guys untill his crash in 2000 and from memory won 2 races? at the TT in 2000 @ 48!

Age is no barrier to speed.

Posted

+1!!

Posted

Age is an issue, there's no question. If it wasn't we'd be having Schwantz v Doohan v Criville v Roberts v Rossi v Stoner v Lorenzo.

With respect, Joey winning TT's at 48 and Hailwood's comeback are not the same thing. The IOM is unique because the more you ride it, the faster you get and experience is so much more critical there than it is in MotoGP. Rossi, Stoner, Pedrosa, Lorenzo etc all go on a MotoGP bike (well a 500 in Rossi's case) and were immediately quick. They were fast, they crashed, they learned how to stop crashing and they were just plain fast. The roads are practically a different sport. And they both raced in different era's (even Joey in 2000) to modern MotoGP.

The other thing is a question of hunger. Vale is a nine times world champion. He may be hurting now and on the one hand he may wish desperately for his form to improve, but at the same time the way he rode at Qatar did not demonstrate that he is full of hunger. He said he thought about pulling in after three laps! Nicky rode with hunger, Rossi looked demoralised. That saps hunger. I'm not sure he wants it as much as, for example, he did when he went to Yamaha. He was so desperate to show Honda it was him and not the bike, and boy did he show them. Would that Vale have wanted to pull in after three laps, even if the bike was a dog? I don't think so.

Please don't think I'm knocking Rossi. As I said, for me, his move to Yamaha made him the best ever. Back in 1997/98/99 I was one of the original Valenteenyboppers. I raced karts when I was 14 (1998) with #46.

But sport moves on, time moves on. Like I said, it will happen to Stoner, Lorenzo, and it will happen to whoever knocks them off their perch. It's an inevitable process.

Oli

Posted

Oh, also just wanted to add, Stoner & Lorenzo are not beating Rossi because modern GP bikes are easier to ride with TC etc.

Modern GP bikes may well be easier to ride than say a 500, but Stoner & Lorenzo are WORLD CLASS. They would have had the talent to have ridden and been competitive on any bike in any era, just like Rossi, just like Doohan, just like Schwants, just like Rainey.

After all, they both won races on 250s and Stoner was a series runner up, Lorenzo a 2x champion. They could have ridden 500s, no question.

Posted

....but Stoner & Lorenzo are WORLD CLASS.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that people on this forum are not closely connected to those in the know.

Posted

When it comes to age, I think the desire to win and fitness overides it...look at Schumacher. It's not like the strains and stresses in F1 are diminshed in anyway since he started his career. Put Schumacher in a current, sorted F1 car and he will win.

Personally I think the same applies to Rossi. He is not down and out in anyway, shape or form, but he has gone to Ducati with the hope that he can develope the bike like when he went to Yamaha......and it has not worked.

Stoner on the Ducati will be one of my ever abiding memories, as said before...World Class

Posted

Not saying they aren't world class at all Oli, in fact I completely agree (Stoner just needs a character transplant imho)!

But those two do rely on TC, Lorenzo throwing himself 5ft in the air last year at Laguna Seca is case and point! He gave it the beans thinking TC would save him but it hadn't re-engaged after his practice start!

Everyone has their favourite and of course will carry bias towards them! I do believe Lorenzo and Stoner are the only 2 in the past 10 years that have been able to challenge Rossi and genuinely beat Rossi when he is on form too....but I also believe Rossi (ironically) helped them be as good as they are! They both got broken by the master and bounced back stronger!

Put Rossi on a bike that does what he wants and I do think our discussion would turn to which of the 4 aliens is going to win Moto GP!

I don't like those red lawnmowers anyway!! lol Coca Cola Yamaha......where do I buy the merch!?? lol

Posted

have to agree with RVF - the only thing stopping Rossi riding the ducati as good as he did when he overcame teething troubles with other makes is that he has no feel or feedback from the front end.

He has never been a gas it and go rider. He was and always will be a front end rider - until he gets the feel he needs he will struggle- if he moved to another bike or ducati get it sorted he'll be back.

Jock

Posted

Stoner just needs a character transplant imho

Completely agree there. But then Casey's big contribution to the sport is neither his personality nor his riding, but that very nice wife he brings along! Phew.

The thing with legends getting old is that it makes everyone sad because it reminds us that we are getting old(er) too. As I mentioned, when I was growing up there was Mick winning 500s, Rossi winning in the smaller classes and F1 was dominated by Schumacher.

Vale is the last relic of my childhood (Schumacher doesn't count, the current version is not the same!) and now Loris has gone he's the last relic of 500s. Unless Hopper ever comes back. Or maybe Leon Haslam could get a CRT ride, he used to race a 500!

I'm now nearly 28 and left wondering where the last 15 years went.

?????

Oli :o

Posted

I agree with Jock. Just hope he does something before he starts to question himself. I'm still convinced it's bike not rider. You don't lose talent over one off season but I believe that trying to ride a bike that you don't get on with for long enough can do serious damage.

Hahaha.... just realised that sounds really daft coming from someone who doesn't ride bikes...... but I know a man who does (did!) :lol:

Posted

Hahaha...me and you alike Oli...same age mate! haha!

There is something special with Vale...that feeling of "no one has ever done that"....outside Sete at Lukey Heights for his MOto GP championship on Yamaha!

Getting penalised 10 seconds in race for a flag infraction...so DECIDES to win it by 15 seconds!

I wish he comes back...being honest Moto GP won't be the same without him as a sport or as a business entity and thats what we are scared of it!

I just want to jump off my settee again watching him stick it up Jorge at the last turn at Catalunya....or put Sete in the gravel in his home race or toy with Casey for the fun of it.....on and on we can go!

P.S. Oli....she is fit aint she! lol Sarah Ellison gets #1 on my "list" though....although RdP's missus!! haha

New thread needed maybe! haha

Posted

New thread needed maybe! haha

Good idea! When I was at Phillip Island in 2009 I managed to break into the paddock old-school-style and bumped into an Aussie bloke walking around with a t-shirt on saying "I've got a boner for Adrianna Stoner".... amused me so much I got a photo of it!