74 replies to this topic

#1 Durham4416

Durham4416

No mates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

As title I'm selling my road going r1 to buy a 600cc, I have arranged to go up to nemrc to sort out my acu license, I'm in the process of finding a bike, my budget is only going to be arou d 2500 for the bike so looking at 2003 cbr packages, not sure how competitive this bike will be but it's a start, I'm hoping to be ready for the east fortune round at the end of may, iv got alot of research to do and iv had a good luck through the site which has helped, just a few questions
With a standard engine but full system exhaust and pc3 etc would this put. E in the super stock class?
Realistically will I need a new set of tyres every race weekend to be competitive?
Any other advice for a newbie would be much appreciated, cheers

#2 mark evans

mark evans

Too much time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

If I was you I would start off in something like pre injection or cb 500, 2003 cbr won't be much cop in stock or formula, if you are set on a cbr 2003 then just be content not to finish near the front, stay on the bike as much as possible and learn how to ride the bike. Whatever bike you buy it will probably be more capable than you. Buy a fully sorted bike with stock engine. Sunken sure the suspension has been upgraded ie ohlins rear and at least 20mm cartridge ktech or something front. Stock brakes are fine, clippons and rear sets are necessary and a set of spare wheels will be needed for your wets. Best bet is to buy an ex race bike because they are proven machines. Oh and a bike with slipper clutch might be a good idea and 520 chain conversion and a variation of sprockets.There is probably some other stuff to know but that is the basics. Money is well spent on tuition from a good acu approved coach one on one. Or of course just buy what you can afford and go enjoy it, you will love it.
rookie 600 2009

#3 Durham4416

Durham4416

No mates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for the reply, do the majority of people use new bikes in the 600 class?

#4 Durham4416

Durham4416

No mates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

I have seen a couple of 2008 zx6r/2007 r6 at the top of my budget. It with. I spare package, is it worth stretching to something like this, the only 600 I have had was a 2006 zx636 and it was a great bike, are you allowed to run these in the 600 class.

#5 David Stewart

David Stewart

No mates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of Road Racing. It will eat all of your money and all of your spare time, but it will be the most fun you've ever had and you'll meet friends that you'll keep for life.

Don't be put off by not being able to have the newest bike, you can still be competitive on an early-ish CBR. Being a Novice, you have quite a few attractive options that aren't open to more experienced riders and your first season will be the one you learn most in. A 636 Kwaka is not eligible for Formula 600 or Superstock 600 classes, so it's not a good bike to start on, as it gets outgunned in the big bike classes.

Thundersport GB do the HMT Racing Pre-National Sport 600 class, which isn't open to National licence holders and the level of competition, whilst very good, is not as intimidating as going straight into Formula 600 or Superstock 600.

BMCRC do a Rookie 600/1000 championship which is only open to newcomers and this is also a good place to learn and enjoy your first season.

NG Road Racing run a Novice Licence Holders race at the end of each day, which pits you against all the other newcomers.

Derby Phoenix have an excellent Steel Frame / Pre-Injection 600 championship. This would involve getting a slightly older bike than you are looking at, but might be worth a look.
They also have a fledgling Early Injection championship which might suit you. I'm sure Jordan Giddings will be along shortly to tell you all about it.

A lot depends on where you want to race and how far you want to travel. Whatever you decide to do, Good Luck.

#6 RichRedRacing

RichRedRacing

KMSRC MELVILLE #19 NEMCRC # 119

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

If you are planning running f600 with NEMCRC you can run any 600, tuned or not. They are an awesome club and run by lovely people who will bend over backwards to help you out. But if you plan coming up to Scotland and racing with Melville etc they run a stock 600 class so you can't tune the bike, however a PC and exhaust is fine. TBH I think you will struggle to get a good bike package to compete in these classes for 2500, maybe pre inj would be a better place to start and keeps you within your budget. Either way have a ball and be prepared as there's not much you can do once your hooked! Don't know how good you are but I don't think running at the front is something you should be thinking about at this time, get a bike sorted and a few races under your belt first....you may be surprised how good some of the other guys in the field are!! Good luck
www.red-racing.co.uk
Richard@red-racing.co.uk (rider)
Duncan@red-racing.co.uk (mechanic)
Debbie@red-racing.co.uk (everything else!)

Proudly sponsored by

RQT Precision Engineering
Henderson Group
Inverness Tattoo Centre
www.aberdeenwebdesign.co.uk
RTV Worldwide Shipping

#7 Durham4416

Durham4416

No mates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Thanks for all they help guys, I don't mean to sound naive and understand I'm not going to be running at the front straight away, I'm willing to learn though, like I say I'm planning on doing east fortune with nemrc at the end of may and possible the other rounds, knockhill and the other east fortune meet but also interested in dci g at croft with derby Phoenix as its just down the road from me, just try and learn as much as possible this year then see what obey I can get together for next year :)

#8 speedy66

speedy66

Too much time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

get a mini twin ... if you can ride and sv650 fast you can ride anythig fast... this is buget racing. we ran minitwins last year in nemcrc and scottish. it was excelent put the petrol in and go. no problems. get ya sel a carby sv 650 with good suspension and an exhaust and let the fun commence..

even bought another sv this year and i sometimes prefer that over my supersport bike. being as its bomb proof. good crashable, cheap bikes. everybody who runs a mini twin in the paddock will do there best to help out with any queries.

#9 speedy66

speedy66

Too much time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

come up to eastfortune next weekend 14th/15th to have al look round the paddock and talk to the riders. who knows you might walk away with a bike

#10 Durham4416

Durham4416

No mates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Iv got my heart set on doing 600's, what meeting is on at east fortune next week, it's a good run for me but might be able to get up on Saturday as I'm working saturday night shifts at the moment to get the funds :)

#11 speedy66

speedy66

Too much time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

Its a quick class the 600s.. melville round next weekend cheapest racing youll get up ere 5 racing for £190.

#12 Durham4416

Durham4416

No mates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

That's pretty reasonable, if it dosnt work out in the 600's ill think of changing. you only live once, can you do a trackday at east fortune to gauge where you are at?

#13 Durham4416

Durham4416

No mates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

I'm going to check tomorrow but are you deffinitley not allowed to use a b1h zx636 Kawasaki, just seen a cracking set up?

#14 keith

keith

No mates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

I have just started out this season aswell but i went and got a Pre-injection cbr 600.Most guys in the stock 600 class are using the latest models so you will probably struggle on an older CBR.Mini twins are not very popular in Scotland this year as they are getting run to supertwin rules which allow more tuning and modifying to be done to the bikes.You can pick up a good pre inj 600 for about £1000 and then use the rest of your budget on some training and spares.East fortune doesnt do track days and you have just missed the practice day in March.If your up on the 14/15th then i will be running number 74 in the pre inj class so come over for a chat if you want.Cheers
www.keithpotterracing.co.uk.

#15 -Andy-

-Andy-

Chatty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

I started racing last year on a zx636. had to race with the 1000cc bikes tho. was still great fun but quite difficult passing other bikes as they leave you for dead on the straights

#16 mark evans

mark evans

Too much time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

I'm going to check tomorrow but are you deffinitley not allowed to use a b1h zx636 Kawasaki, just seen a cracking set up?

If you see a bike why don't you put it on here and I'm sure people will give you there opinions on it, or there is always the race bikes for sale on here
rookie 600 2009

#17 RichRedRacing

RichRedRacing

KMSRC MELVILLE #19 NEMCRC # 119

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

I'll be at east fortune next weekend aswell, done croft last weekend, come have chat with me and I'll show you our R6 and talk you through the costs etc if you like. #19 superstock, plus I'll even make you a cuppa if your lucky! ;-)
www.red-racing.co.uk
Richard@red-racing.co.uk (rider)
Duncan@red-racing.co.uk (mechanic)
Debbie@red-racing.co.uk (everything else!)

Proudly sponsored by

RQT Precision Engineering
Henderson Group
Inverness Tattoo Centre
www.aberdeenwebdesign.co.uk
RTV Worldwide Shipping

#18 Whitty

Whitty

Too much time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

I started last year in pre inj on an srad gsxr. It's probably only worth about a grand but on your budget you could have one of best bikes on pre inj grid. A fully prepped r6 went on eBay yesterday for 2300. It had tuned engine, trick suspension, slipper clutch loads of spares and wets on wheels! There are some mega fast lads in f600 on very trick bikes so beware! Lol Don't think old bikes are slow,it depends on you. There are also loads of 2nd hand bits on eBay for when the inevitable happens. Tyres will be your biggest cost, its not just the race its test days and trackdays aswell anddont forget pads and a screaming 600 will guzzle petrol. You may wish you had spent less on bike and kept some back for consumables. It often boils down to the age old phrase, HOW FAST CAN YOU AFFORD TO GO? LOL.

#19 panda18

panda18

Too much time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

The oldest bike I would suggest using in superstock 600's in Scotland would be an 06 R6, slipper clutch as standard, great brakes and a good engine. I too will be @ East Fortune next weekend :lol:
They seem to be coming in at around £3500/4000 for a good one so out of your budget.
As others have said, you will easily pick up a pre injection 600 with spares wows etc for the cash you have though.
To answer your tyre question, I used 2 fronts all season last year and a rear a meeting. (06 R6)
I used a pair from last season at the first meeting and finished well but ideally I would change the rear every meeting.

#20 Klank

Klank

Too much time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Your name:Keith Shepherd

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

I must reiterate a lot of the above points. I too decided to start racing last year, on an old F600 GSXR and a very tight budget. Big mistake. A combination of inexperience, a bike that wasn't up to the pace and scrubbed tyres every weekend all made up for not a lot in terms of results. So I sold up and went minitwin.. Bought a K6 model SV with a very good setup for a bargain price and now I'm running only a fraction off the pace of the stock twin winner from Croft last weekend.. Believe I also put in the second fastest lap of the stock twins all weekend. Hell of a difference to racing around at the back on a 600 to battling for top spots in all races. Unfortunately, even older twins are fetching a premium at this time of the year, though they are still competitive. You may want to consider pre injection 600 as an alternative.

Also on a side note, a sponsor is helping me out with tyres this year, so I'm running new rubber for each meeting, but I don't know how people seem to get several meetings out of a fresh set on a minitwin.. I got the Friday test and Saturday races out of one rear and needed a new one for Sunday! Front lasted well though.. But yeah, gets expensive when you start pushing.

NEMCRC are a superb club and I'll be doing all four rounds with them this year. Realistic amount of money for a championship, and means you're also good to do a few rounds with other clubs.

I'm a Stockton lad myself, so feel free to give us a heads up if you want any advice or help about racing locally.

Cheers,
Keith #44.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users