58 replies to this topic

#1 Karen

Karen

Trouble in Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:35 AM

It has come to my attention that quite a few racers may not be aware that if you crash in a race or practice session you are NOT allowed to rejoin until you've been scrutineered. This applies to ALL classes.

I say this because I unfortunately had two fallers in one of the races and they both remounted and rejoined. Unfortunately I only got the number of one of the fallers so he was the only one penalised and when I subsequently asked several riders and each one of them didn't know they weren't allowed to do that I felt it appropriate to put it on here.

I'm really sorry to the faller who was subsequently penalised, especially when you consider the other rider got away with it but hope they understand that the rule makes sense when anything could be wrong with the machine after impact.

Tis in the ACU handbook for any of you's who doubts.

Please take note as I felt so bad about this and would hate this to happen again.

xx

If you are seeking creative ideas, go out walking... Angels whisper to a man when he goes out for a walk. ~Raymond Inmon
Don't wait for your ship to come in... swim out and meet the bloody thing. ~Barry Sheene
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.

http://www.acupunctureforhealth.uk.com

#2 Lukewarmbeer

Lukewarmbeer

The lights are on but...

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:35 AM

The same reg also requires that a rider who falls is passed fit by the CMO before they continue with the meeting.

I would say that both parts of this reg are rather erratically enforced.
Correlation is not causation

#3 Karen

Karen

Trouble in Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:13 PM

That may or may not be so but my post was related to rejoining during a race or practice session where there has been absolutely no opportunity to check your bike is fit.

It is my understanding that classes other than Superteen were allowed to continue up until recently but this is no longer the case... it now applies to ALL classes.

With regards to medical fitness I can assure everyone that us marshals take this very seriously and if we deem that the rider has taken a hard knock or if there appears to be something amiss with them, even if they say they are okay, I ALWAYS insist that they are looked at by medical personnel. Can't comment on the rest as I'm not in a position to know.
If you are seeking creative ideas, go out walking... Angels whisper to a man when he goes out for a walk. ~Raymond Inmon
Don't wait for your ship to come in... swim out and meet the bloody thing. ~Barry Sheene
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.

#4 Karen

Karen

Trouble in Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:41 PM

Actually, the more I think about it the more I don't see any of this as being erratically enforced.

It's simple (with our club anyway... can't comment on others... and also for this year... as I won't comment on previous years)...

If you crash, you can't rejoin (that doesn't include standing upright in the gravel for obvious reasons (i.e. your machine wouldn't be damaged from the incident).

If there is even the slightest cause for concern medically we insist on you seeing medical personnel, even at the risk of peeving you off.

As to scrutineering... no comment as I really don't know. I would say though that it should be the riders responsibility to ensure they are re-scrutineered if they are responsible people, imho.

My regret with this particular incident is that one rider got away with it and the other didn't. You could say that this is erratic and maybe it is but the real reason for this is that I, as corner commander, didn't see the other machines number... user error. Also I was surprised that the riders rep for this particular class didn't know they couldn't remount and continue... let alone the riders in question.

This isn't aimed at a dig... it's aimed at education to avoid this happening in the future, not just because I won't then have to feel bad but to try and prevent, God forbid, a racer rejoining without something like their front brake lever.

#5 Dodge

Dodge

No mates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:56 PM

Spoil sport.... :lol:

Andy(Bally / TZR) Ball would be gutted ....

I am sure on more than a handful of occassions he proper threw it down the road in the last few laps., chased the bike, was back on it before it stopped and was on the podium a few minutes later lol

:P

Suppose he would just pick the bike up tuck it under his arm and make off to the start line under a brisk jogging pace.. whilst puffing on a half worn out roll up.... as I remember him doing much to the alarm of Fire Marshalls as he stood under a dripping fuelling tower at an Endrance event... oops I digressed..

The next thing we will be getting told not to park our sidecars outside the Kentagon and pop in for a fly pint after qualifying... :lol:

:P

Edited by Dodge, 04 May 2010 - 01:00 PM.

Wallace Interior Solutions F1 Sidecar Racing Team
http://www.wislelectrical.com

http://www.wislinteriors.com

#6 Karen

Karen

Trouble in Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:33 PM

Shouldn't you be working or something Dodge? Posted Image

#7 Karen

Karen

Trouble in Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:34 PM

p.s. If Andy did that this year he'd find himself disqualified... no question. Even if I didn't see his number I know who he is Posted Image

#8 doodledog

doodledog

Loud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:bikes and racing, windsurfing

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:07 PM

I dont think its erratically enforced either Karen, its been the normal course of action for a long time now and I really think the riders know it, only time it becomes a problem is when their blood is up and the adrenalin kicks in, the only time it could be classed as erratic is when a rider leaves the track then continues as the bike was not dropped.

#9 Karen

Karen

Trouble in Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:25 PM

That isn't even erratic doodlebug... because they didn't drop their machine (i.e. crash).

#10 fatrangi

fatrangi

No mates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:32 PM

Guilty m'lud.

It twas I who crashed and remounted, and was then disqualified.

I have fallen off before and got back in the game, obviously I'm sensible enough to make sure the bike is ready to go. I genuinely wasn't aware that this is a no no. You live you learn

Anyway, Sunday's off wasn't a crash, it was barely a step off! I had a grand total of nothing to repair when I retuned to the paddock. Obviously I was only fully aware of that once I'd got back to the paddock.

These things happen and I enjoyed my subsequent 'burn from the stern', making up 15 places on the first lap is quite a chuckle.

The only thing I'd ask is that if it happens in the future could I suggest the offending rider be black flagged rather than waste fuel/tyres/time etc trying to make their way through the field.

The other thing I'd suggest is that having a silver or red or yellow or white bike that looks any number of others can pay unexpected dividends :lol:

It's all good

KR

#11 doodledog

doodledog

Loud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:39 PM

Guilty m'lud.

It twas I who crashed and remounted, and was then disqualified.

I have fallen off before and got back in the game, obviously I'm sensible enough to make sure the bike is ready to go. I genuinely wasn't aware that this is a no no. You live you learn

The only thing I'd ask is that if it happens in the future could I suggest the offending rider be black flagged rather than waste fuel/tyres/time etc trying to make their way through the field.

The other thing I'd suggest is that having a silver or red or yellow or white bike that looks any number of others can pay unexpected dividends :lol:

It's all good

KR

your a very naughty boy LOL, I think that if you fell however gently near a marshal post they would have your number and you would indeed have been black flagged, lesson being if you fall off make it a long way from a post/marshal and then blend in, LOL

#12 doodledog

doodledog

Loud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:41 PM

That isn't even erratic doodlebug... because they didn't drop their machine (i.e. crash).

Yes Karen but a riders mind is a strange thing LOL. I do however agree with you. DOODLEDOG!

#13 Karen

Karen

Trouble in Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:07 PM

I felt bad for you Keith... but at least you know now.

He was near a marshal post... we even had our hands on him (for a moment). Posted Image

Can't comment on the black flag... not my call.

#14 Karen

Karen

Trouble in Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

Anyway, it won't happen again because hopefully everyone will be more fully aware. Okay, okay... I know... you're racers and I'm delusional!

#15 Mike Edwards

Mike Edwards

I'm broken!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:28 PM

Didn't it used to be the case that you could ask the marshal if you were okay to continue and they were given the authority to check your bike there and then or has that long been superceded?

See www.minitwins.co.uk for the latest on the MiniTwins race series.

#16 Dodge

Dodge

No mates

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:33 PM

p.s. If Andy did that this year he'd find himself disqualified... no question. Even if I didn't see his number I know who he is Posted Image

on a nearly serious note.... could you still push your machine across the finish ??? or was that an urban myth / Hollywoodisym ?

and yes I should be working but as I am the boss and I hada jolly good weekend I am taking the piss at work today

ps .... am I getting on your nerves yet .... am I......

Edited by Dodge, 04 May 2010 - 03:34 PM.

Wallace Interior Solutions F1 Sidecar Racing Team
http://www.wislelectrical.com

http://www.wislinteriors.com

#17 Karen

Karen

Trouble in Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:35 PM

That was the case last year (or was it the year before???) but we've been instructed that if they part from the bike (it's dropped) it's a no no. At the end of the day... we're not scrutineers.

The marshals did try to tell Keith but he was in 'race mode' and too intent on rejoining and obviously didn't realise. Which makes you wonder whether he'd have seen the black flag even if it had been displayed Posted Image

I'd also told the marshals that very weekend (because they were relatively new) that if they had a situation track side that they weren't to spend time debating or trying to stop the rider for safety reasons.

Edited by Karen, 04 May 2010 - 03:39 PM.

#18 Karen

Karen

Trouble in Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

That last response was to Mike Edwards not Dodge.

Dodge - pushing it across the line... I ain't even going there!!!

#19 Karen

Karen

Trouble in Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:03 PM

I refer you to the rules regarding touring... that one takes touring to the limits!

#20 jag64154

jag64154

Too much time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

ACU Road Race Regs

"Section 8.1
10. Riders who fall from their machine are not permitted to continue with the practice or the race until passed fit by the Medical Officer and the machine re-inspected by technical control."
Harley Davidson - The best way to convert fossil fuel into noise without horsepower. LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users