Richard Andrews

Why do Marshals not get paid?

Because we may only turn up for the money and not for the love of the sport. It does happen unfortunately which can lead to the "I don't really care that much as I'm getting paid" brigade. This sport doesn't need mercenaries.

'Proper' marshals do it for the love of the sport, the love and respect for the riders, the camaraderie, we share the highs and lows, etc. Need I go on?

Some clubs "pay" Marshals :o

By providing lunch packs, tickets, T-shirts etc. If your were to pay marshals, what rate would you pay them? £5.80 ph is the minimum wage, they are out on track from before the start of racing till the very end of the day, say 8-6 in the summer £58 per day so £116 for the weekend. You would need 50 for Brands Indy thats £5800 on the organisers bill, the only way they are going to have that would be to increase entry fees ! Then as others have stated, you would attract the wrong type of person.

I wouldnt do it if i got payed

HMRC are paying exspences this year £20 a day + Every 4 days done you get a free trackday

Some people cant afford to travel all over the country + a nights accomadation and food for the weekend then work for free

Tracks like Anglesey cost me £60 in diesel alone to get too and not enough locals to fill all the posts

Edited by TrackAddict

TBH at most tracks they dont need to as most of the time they have too many of them to go around so why pay when they dont need to ?

Also it's a very good job ( hence why so many want to do it ). They get close to the action so see better.

I would never be suprised if they started asking them to pay for their own admission and as long as it wasn't full price it would sort out the wheat from the chaff .

Stupid question to ask in my books.

TBH at most tracks they dont need to as most of the time they have too many of them to go around so why pay when they dont need to ?

Also it's a very good job ( hence why so many want to do it ). They get close to the action so see better.

I would never be suprised if they started asking them to pay for their own admission and as long as it wasn't full price it would sort out the wheat from the chaff .

Stupid question to ask in my books.

To many!!! :o not for most clubs, I have been at Cadwell when they have been asking on the PA for more marshals or racing can't happen! :o

Its a very good job! :lol: it is when the sun shines, but not when it rains all day & we are outside all day :(

If they asked us to pay admission then I wouldn't go any more :(

I know a lot of marshals & all they want is that it doesn't cost them loads to do their hobby, when we went to Anglesey it cost £50 for fuel, food at night (we was fed breakfast & lunch by the club), the whole weekend cost us £100 plus 2 days holiday from work to travel there & Back! :(

I don't want paying, just cover what it costs me in fuel & a breakfast & i am happy :lol:

I do it purely for the love of the sport, and the buzz of being so close to the action. it has its ups and downs, but i wouldn't change that for the world. family now dictates i can't get out as much as i would like, but more often than not, it is a family day out when i do marshall, the wife sits on the bank behind with the nipper( plus one on the way) and i get to do what i love. i wouldn't say clubs have too many tho. I can remember being sector marshal with some clubs and having myself plus 2 on post at clark curve( one of which was flags) and doing cooper straight on my own at one meeting!!! obviously bemsee and racesafe tend to have a lot, but some of the smaller clubs really do struggle to the point of being nearly unnaceptable to race. also being a good job? Going home after having to deal with the tragic side of the sport is not "good" in anyones books, thankfully i have only attended 1 such incident over my 13 years of marshalling, but everytime i am on post at that corner i remember that day. And standing outside for 10 hours in rain, snow, wind, and on the other side extreme heat, not always a "good" thing. if i do recieve any form of payment, i normally put half of it back in the benny fund any way. witch, i think you are spot on with what you say

As Trackaddict has said Hottrax are offering a good benefits package this year for the Endurance racing, being a relatively new racing club they need to attract marshals to help out the teams racing, I have done it myself this year and as others have said you are as close to trackside as anyone and I really enjoyed it.

If and when I cant afford racing anymore I would consider doing a lot more marshaling.

Marshalls are obviously a essential part at any level, but speak to and its for the love of the sport, the viewing points that money cant buy, the atmosphere and the respect from the riders, and i suspect that most as enthusiasts and if not marshalls, would be traveling the country at weekends to spectate,pay entry fees and a tenner in little chef on the way and a fiver for a burger?

So its for them as much as its for us

And like most club riders budgets are all ready tight before you start so we cant afford to subsidise more than we do not that we dont think there times worth it but thats just the way it is.

I do it purely for the love of the sport, and the buzz of being so close to the action. it has its ups and downs, but i wouldn't change that for the world. family now dictates i can't get out as much as i would like, but more often than not, it is a family day out when i do marshall, the wife sits on the bank behind with the nipper( plus one on the way) and i get to do what i love. i wouldn't say clubs have too many tho. I can remember being sector marshal with some clubs and having myself plus 2 on post at clark curve( one of which was flags) and doing cooper straight on my own at one meeting!!! obviously bemsee and racesafe tend to have a lot, but some of the smaller clubs really do struggle to the point of being nearly unnaceptable to race. also being a good job? Going home after having to deal with the tragic side of the sport is not "good" in anyones books, thankfully i have only attended 1 such incident over my 13 years of marshalling, but everytime i am on post at that corner i remember that day. And standing outside for 10 hours in rain, snow, wind, and on the other side extreme heat, not always a "good" thing. if i do recieve any form of payment, i normally put half of it back in the benny fund any way. witch, i think you are spot on with what you say

All racers are very lucky to have people like you

as I said I don't want 'paying', just a £10 to cover the cost of me getting there or for some grub :rolleyes:

do the Doctors & paramedics get paid? from what I hear yes they do & very well, are they 'mercenary' & only doing it for the money??

do the Doctors & paramedics get paid? from what I hear yes they do & very well, are they 'mercenary' & only doing it for the money??

I spoke to someone from a club that run meetings at Oulton--and he told me that to run a one day meeting there it cost £21,000--for hire of curcuit plus £8,000 for medical cover---i think that answers that question dont you

Edited by daskin

i would hope that everyone who marshals prides themselves in representing the club in an an efficient and professional way, however, when things do go wrong, the medics and doctors are there to do a VERY different job, we assist as much as we can, but i for one would not hold a grudge with them for being paid to do what they do however much that may be. In these tough times i don't think it is unreasonable for a bit of petrol money and a lunch, but then every club i did meetings with last year( 6 different clubs in total, 25 days trackside) all gave at least a fiver and breakie and a packed lunch, plus tickets for the wife and nipper( 1 club even gave them a breakfast to)

Edited by dale b

I & all my mates that go marshalling do it for the love of racing, to help the riders when they need us & to spend a weekend with our mates, we are not to worried about being paid, but this, as most hobbies do, it costs us to do it :(

I did 42 days marshalling last year for 6 or 7 clubs, at 8 tracks, some clubs give you expenses (normally £10), a breakfast & a lunch pack, some just lunch, they are all welcome things, but as I said earlier its the ones that are a long way off that may cost £50 to £100 for the weekend that are getting harder to fund for a lot of people, with the credit crunch people have to watch what their hobby is costing :(

I expect I will be doing just as many next year :lol::lol:

This Topic is entitled "Why do Marshals not get paid?"

I'd consider it a cheap weekend if it cost me less than £100 in fuel to get to and from most circuits.

I'd consider it a cheap weekend if it cost me less than £100 in fuel to get to and from most circuits.

Yeah, but you don't pay Road Tax on a broomstick :ph34r:

:lol: Exempt due to age

:lol: Exempt due to age

I know you're talking about the broomstick Pixie.

Aren't you?

Yes they get paid. But they are putting more on offer than we do when we marshal. If they mall-practise then they risk a lot. Most have their own insurance which they pay for to cover that side of things. Some clubs do pay for insurance, but very few. By getting their own insurance they know they are covered adequately.

But as to it being 'very well' I know one sitting next to me could get a lot more by working in private practise than she could get from racing.

Having said that I have heard there are some groups of Dr's and Paramedics that have nice little incomes that earn better money at some circuits.

So come to think of it I should actually suggest she does more private work to keep me in the luxury I deserve.

Now back on topic,

When I do my rescue (we do not get paid either) and marshalling I am more than happy to get my breakfast and lunch pack and no cash. It was not that long ago when we got absolutely nothing.

Mind you as fuel costs go up it does mean less travelling and I can see one day in the future that there will be paid marshals.

It does not mean that they are any worse than unpaid marshals. If you chat to the people at MSV on track days during the week they are just as dedicated to keeping people safe. I think the main issue would be that clubs would run at minimum numbers to keep costs down and that is where you will have the problems.

like any hobby it does cost to marshal and we I think all do it for the love of the racing and its as close as we get these days to be racing ourselves, yes we do get some great veiwing but not everywhere, you try being stuck at the melbourn loop for a full three days, they pass and are gone 36 hours doing that even with Valle going by does get boring and no you cannot go and watch somewhere else, as a bye the bye did anyone see the marshals in the tunnel leaving the pits at the last F1 race, how boring was that. I suppose with fuel food accomodation (you cannot always pitch a tent in March at Mallory and the snowstorms at snett for BSB testing in 08 cost me a tent as well as it was blown away,LOL) and also travelling to training, it works out at that as I do around 45 days a year about £1000, that is just food fuel and costs like accom and such, I suppose with time off work tyres and servicing costs and all the sundrie items involved you could double that, I and a lot of my mates do not marshal for just one club, in fact we do most of them and travel around the country for Thundersport, we genrally are treated very well £10 a day and breakfast is good, it does however P*** me off when we are taken for granted, some clubs/racers are very arrogant and thats at all levels, in order to do my hobby you need to be doing yours, but that works both ways guys and girls please bear that in mind cos without marshals turning out to the likes of croft snett anglsey cadwell and the rest in the snow wind and rain all day, you guys would not be able to pop out of your heated vans and caravans etc for a couple of hours a day to practice/race. People say the medics get paid because they are trained professional people, marshals are not all unskiled labourers. LOL Should we get paid, nah just appreciated thanks.

Edited by doodledog