• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Guest KennyP

Best Brit engine tuners?

surprised frank wrathal is not listed here - seems to get good reports generally....

Not from us he don't - got one of his engines, put it in for refresh because the filler in the head was falling out - waited ages , they couldn't do a dyno test- no real communication from them, (and the parts never seemed to arrive) despite us making a 400 mile return journey to deliver it and had to go and pick it up (another 400 miles) the day before we were racing at Brands GP without all the work being done. Got the bike back and the steering damper had been refitted wrongly so it was locking up the forks, and the rider nearly crashed on his first test lap. :blink::blink:

Had another look at the porting and filler after only 3 meetings ..... it's coming away again! :(:(

They can sue me for saying it if they like - but I got the evidence and the invoice (big one) to prove it!

zxrjohn14    0

everyone will have there own opinion on who is good and who is bad.

i think every tuner has there own speciality on tuning a certain bike, a certain cc, etc.

i raced for years and used many tuners to either sort things out or tune engines. and a couple that had been recomended to me turned out to be the biggest wa**ers i've ever had the misfortune to deal with (i agree with oli and will not name names).

my best dealings were always with ray stringers old engine tuner called anthony (everyone knows him as gobe). leo aldersley at nm tuning and steve dennahey in leicester. all these work out of a well equipped shed at home and have built some of the fastest, most reliable engines on the 400 grid. another home tuner well worth a mention is roger middleton (rmkd). all of these tuners are very fairly priced, always on the end of a phone when you need them and often at a race track for help or advice.

cheers

john

:D

baldrick    0

tony scott........graham barrow..........nikki kennedy........stuart jonhson...........guy martin.........plenty out there.........how deep are your pockets ????????

Hi, Stuart Johnson..... Can you tell me anything about him?

chappyr1    0

Chris Mehew would get my vote for top engine tuner in the country, if you can pay him to do an engine! I think he now chooses who he does engines for, rather than people choosing him, he's so busy. And he's a really nice guy with it.

chucksy3    0

i have used frank wrathal for the past 3 years. he asked what i wanted out of a bike and how much i wanted to spend througout the year, i am on a 07 r6 and it puts out 128bph and goes back to him once a year, the bike has never let me down and at club level it more than enough. he give me options of up 135-140 but said i dont that power and that expence (a refresh every 2-3meeting) unless your in bss, i find him very honest and fair, somtimes it is a while before i get the bike back but its better than a rushed job. first time i took it he was going to put a arata full system on but only give 1bhp more than whats already on so save your money, i would of bean no the wiser and 1400 quid down, hes not there to rip anyone off. rate him highly

rvfgod    0

Tim Radley at Race Developments all day long!

The nicest bloke I know and built me a missile last year! Also builds some high profile bikes too!

As for no such thing as bad tuners.......BO77OX!

I can build you a 140BHP R6 motor......won't finish a race but it will read 140 on a dyno!

A good engine builder never uses his dyno to prove his worth.....

A dyno is a measurement tool and there are an infinite amount of variables that affect the figure it delivers!...even tyres on the bike!

A good rider also knows that a 150 BHP 600 may be rubbish against a 130BHP motor!! You don't ride your bike on wide open throttle all the time!

You need good midrange and torque from an engine and a reasonable amount of power!!...Not just massive peak!

rvfgod    0

As for the OP's original point!

You might get better results if you look at tuners near you and then ask on here if anyone has dealt with them and what they think?

I'm lucky that my genius is in Gloucester, he has always looked after me so never needed to go anywhere else!

Tuners are like hairdressers!! (haha Tim will love that analogy!!) But once you find a good one...you never need another!!

irie    0

I use Steve Jordan who uses a DynaPro dyno - you can easily get about 7% more horsepower than his bikes simply by using a well known American dyno instead. ;)

It's important to know what you want from the engine and your package in general. Do you want a fire breathing engine that'll need a strip several times a season, or something far lower maintenance? Do you want screaming top end power, or mid-range torque and driveability, or something in between? And what are your ambitions?

Assuming you know what you want and why (which surprisingly few people do), a good engine builder listens to you and puts together a package to suit your requirements and budget explaining to you the pluses and minuses of each option.

Suzuki SV650 #60 Bemsee Thunderbike

Spike16    0

I can recomend mike at BMC Racing, 11 lap records and zero blow ups in one season with 1 rider has got to prove something aswell as countless championships and other records, he sorted my poor running 400 also took it from less than 40 to 62 bhp.

top bloke cant recomend more!

These are my top three engine tuners, (not in any order)

Nobody comes close to the driveability of a Chris Meyhew motor. His engines Book. Most rideable engine ive ever used.

Jan Roeloff......... (Holland) Very Intelligent person and builds fast engines.

Phil Seton.... Fast engines, Excellent aftercare and advice, (Sense of humour).lol

JB

Gene Hunt!    0

we have far better tuners than the pop bang merchants at ten kate. :P

for anything honda, Chris Meyhew is the man, if he is good enough for Parkalgar PTR, HM Plant etc he is, and has been, more than good enough for me.

Trig did a rebuild on our old ex-astro racing zx10r, not only did he rebuild it he set it up on his dyno, top top bloke, you certainly wont find anyone better for a middleweight triumph!

nikki kennedy is also worth a mention, as are phil seton, Guy Martin etc.

BSD in Peterboro gets my vote all day long. Mark builds fast, strong motors. full of midrange grunt, knows all the tricks in the book and puts in the time needed on the dyno. Used him for my motors sence 05, and he has never let me down once. knows how to get 200 reliable bhp out of a thou, and ducati corsa trust him to develope parts for thier factory bikes. I make a 300 mile round trip just to use BSD, when there are several more local tuners to me. Not that I doubt anyone elses work. Sean.

corky    0

Peter Alton at OTC Racing.

Top bloke who knows his stuff, took my bike to him and told him exactly what i wanted.

The Bike came back with a ported head, a few other mods and plenty of dyno time under its wheels. But more importantly it did exactly what i wanted it to do .......more power for longer !!!

Pete took the time to listen to what i wanted and then explained all my options. His porting work is second to none and his attention to detail is amazing (close on OCD !!)

Very reasonbly priced and everyone i have recommended him to has nothing but praise for his work.......

OTCRacing

widnes

wa87ae

Gilbo    0

id happily Reccomend Mike Smith Tuning his engine had the most power the nicest curve and lasted faultlessly for more than a season! i know a lot of people who use him i have been there when another well highlighted tuner on here has rung him for advice! he is not expensive and him and his wife are so very helpful! he has an eye for detail and is meticulous! and his workshops spotless!

coxxy    0

Happy to double recommend Mike Smith as a great guy and top engine tuner, his work is top class and he always works to fulfil tight deadlines in a meticulous fashion. Cheers Mike for the rebuild both last and this season.

THE FLUTE    0

RODGER AT RMKD HAS TO BE THE BEST ZXR 400 MAN

Got to agree with that No one comes close to him on the ZXR,s Branching out on to ER,s as well now

Edited by THE FLUTE