Sign in to follow this  
Jake Mason

Thunderbike extreme / ultra

Hi all, I am looking at potentially joining the Thunderbike extreme / ultra grid for 2021. 

Only playing with ideas at the moment I’m just trying to get a rough figure of running costs over a average race weekend, I.E how many sets of tires are most riders using  over the course of a weekend, how much is a average engine refresh etc, 

I’m basically trying to gauge weather running a Thunderbike extreme or ultra  bike is more cost effective than running say a 600. 

Thanks for any advice! 

Jake 

Probably not much in it other than initial bike cost tbh, your essentially running an older ss/superbike, sport would be the cheaper option imo

As Rob says Thunderbike Sport should be a bit cheaper partly because the lower power limit extends tyre life and also because the bikes of choice tend to need power restrictions (as opposed to tuning) to comply, so engines get an easier life. Sadly the diversity of machinery has gone. Most of the grid has migrated to early 2000s SS600 bikes with the throttle stop wound out to drop max power to about 95bhp (to suit weight circa 170-175kg). The rest of the grid is mini/super twins and some 400s plus my FZR/thundercat/aprilia bitsa. The grids are full and there is a fair depth of talent so it's not an easy route to plastic trophies but the racing is pretty good and you aren't likely to have a lonely race (unless you are Jamie Coward slumming it at a club meeting :-)).