Sign in to follow this  
Steve Saint

Gearbox Additives - Just Snake Juice?

I'm running a Thundercat motor in my race bike. By luck I stumbled a cross a brand new "old stock" one to replace the current engine which has shot 2nd gear (as they are prone to). The task of replacing a gearbox involves a complete motor strip and the replacement parts are very expensive and still crap so I am looking for any way to improve the expected life. I was wondering if anybody could comment on the use of oil additives that are claimed to improve gearbox wear. I've seen a ceramic additive but struggle to see how it can help the gearbox without having a negative effect on the clutch plates.

Thanks

Nova Transmissions maybe able to help with a race-box if you have any budget?

Gearbox additives are not a real aid in a modern motorcycle in my experience. At best they are marginally trying to solve an integral/mechanical problem or weakness - which lets face it - they just cant do...?

Agree with the super-finish comment...

Thanks, spoke to Nova a while ago and they have long since sold all of the parts they had for Thundercats/FZR600s.

I might look into superfinishing. It is second gear that is the Achilles heal so there is the possible option of finding somebody who could make a copy of the relevant gears in a decent metal rather than a hard compound cheese.

Might be worth trying ellis moore as he makes gears, mainly for classic stuff, but usually uprated replacements for problem gears.

I dont have any contact details im afraid but he's mentioned in various forums so worth a search

1 hour ago, Robw said:

Might be worth trying ellis moore as he makes gears, mainly for classic stuff, but usually uprated replacements for problem gears.

I dont have any contact details im afraid but he's mentioned in various forums so worth a search

I think he trades as MPE (Moore performance Engineering). I found them through a google search; so that looks promising.