Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Help me understand V5

Recommended Posts

I'm coming to the UK this summer and want to build a bike to race. I'm from the US so I know what to look for and what I need to buy a bike here, but I don't know anything about the UK system. I see V5 mentioned on this site in the classifieds, but I also see you can sell the bike without a V5, so I assume the V5 is similar to a title in the states.


If I buy a bike with a V5 (which is my preference if it is like a title), then do I have to pay any kind of road tax, sales tax, or any other fee if the bike will stay as off road use only? 


And if anyone has a 2015-16 R6 for sale, I'm interested. Doesn't need to be pretty or even a full on race bike, I'll take care of that part.




Edited by Tittys04

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you buy a bike with a V5.

The price is the price unless you are buying from a company through a company.

road tax is only applicable if it is on the road.  If it is not then you need to complete a SORN, status turn off road notification.  If it is never on the road no fee applies.  You will get fined if you do not complete the SORN

Bikes without a V5 May have been written off beyond economical repair and in tha5 case can never go on the road as they are effectively not legal for the road.  There are also some bikes that don’t have a V5 that have been stolen with engine or frame numbers that are tampered with.

be aware that any evidence of tampering whatsoever with frame or engine numbers means you will fail scrutineering 

Hope that helps 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is very helpful, thank you. 


Just to be clear, you're saying that if I don't pay a road tax, nor file a SORN, then I can be fined. If I do one or the other, I'd be in the clear, right? 


And where are good places to find salvaged bikes (or as you put it, written off beyond economical repair) in the UK? I have all the parts i need, so I would rather buy a crashed street bike and build it the way i want with parts i have than buy a turn key race bike. 


Thanks again

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


If your bike has a V5 you either need to pay road tax or declare as SORN.  Only if you do neither of those will you get fined or worst case have your bike seized.

If your bike does not have a V5 then you don’t need to do either and you cannot ride it on the road.

Not sure on places to get damaged bikes apart from the dreaded eBay, or maybe here

hope that all helps

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.