Sign in to follow this  
Tittys04

Help me understand V5

I'm coming to the UK this summer and want to build a bike to race. I'm from the US so I know what to look for and what I need to buy a bike here, but I don't know anything about the UK system. I see V5 mentioned on this site in the classifieds, but I also see you can sell the bike without a V5, so I assume the V5 is similar to a title in the states.

If I buy a bike with a V5 (which is my preference if it is like a title), then do I have to pay any kind of road tax, sales tax, or any other fee if the bike will stay as off road use only? 

And if anyone has a 2015-16 R6 for sale, I'm interested. Doesn't need to be pretty or even a full on race bike, I'll take care of that part.

Thanks! 

Eric

Edited by Tittys04

If you buy a bike with a V5.

The price is the price unless you are buying from a company through a company.

road tax is only applicable if it is on the road.  If it is not then you need to complete a SORN, status turn off road notification.  If it is never on the road no fee applies.  You will get fined if you do not complete the SORN

Bikes without a V5 May have been written off beyond economical repair and in tha5 case can never go on the road as they are effectively not legal for the road.  There are also some bikes that don’t have a V5 that have been stolen with engine or frame numbers that are tampered with.

be aware that any evidence of tampering whatsoever with frame or engine numbers means you will fail scrutineering 

Hope that helps 

That is very helpful, thank you. 

Just to be clear, you're saying that if I don't pay a road tax, nor file a SORN, then I can be fined. If I do one or the other, I'd be in the clear, right? 

And where are good places to find salvaged bikes (or as you put it, written off beyond economical repair) in the UK? I have all the parts i need, so I would rather buy a crashed street bike and build it the way i want with parts i have than buy a turn key race bike. 

Thanks again

Yes

If your bike has a V5 you either need to pay road tax or declare as SORN.  Only if you do neither of those will you get fined or worst case have your bike seized.

If your bike does not have a V5 then you don’t need to do either and you cannot ride it on the road.

Not sure on places to get damaged bikes apart from the dreaded eBay, or maybe here

hope that all helps