Yes I know it's a huge no no for racing but my 2010 ZX6R gets incredibly hot and spits water all over the screen etc while racing.

Does anyone run clear coolant to stop this happening?

I really need to sort this out before the next race end of the month.

Arran 

If it's spitting over screen sounds like a hole in rad. Is rad cap  and all hoses sound. Waterwetter might help bring temp down if all else is good .

Hi mate, yes all hoses etc have been checked yesterday. It was running at 85ish but was still spitting water out of the catch bottle  

I’d be looking at one of two things. 

A: rad cap, possibly releasing pressure before it needs to

b: head gasket. Stick a compression tester on it to be sure

How high is water level in catch bottle when cold. Try it at min level when cold. If at min already then as qb suggests head gasket suspect.

Edited by niloc nuts

8 hours ago, niloc nuts said:

How high is water level in catch bottle when cold. Try it at min level when cold. If at min already then as qb suggests head gasket suspect.

About half an inch buddy

19 hours ago, quarrybends said:

I’d be looking at one of two things. 

A: rad cap, possibly releasing pressure before it needs to

b: head gasket. Stick a compression tester on it to be sure

Ok cheers buddy. I'll get the test done in the next few days and see what its like. It's only on the last track day started doing it but it was silly hot at Anglesey. Raced there the week before and it didn't do it

Could you borrow a known good rad cap from another bike and run her up in your  storage area hot enough to get fan on or something let's off steam. Most jap rad caps are 1.1bar and std size .

1 minute ago, niloc nuts said:

Could you borrow a known good rad cap from another bike and run her up in your  storage area hot enough to get fan on or something let's off steam. Most jap rad caps are 1.1bar and std size .

Ok will try it :) Not got a fan on it 

2 hours ago, Arran#22 said:

Ok cheers buddy. I'll get the test done in the next few days and see what its like. It's only on the last track day started doing it but it was silly hot at Anglesey. Raced there the week before and it didn't do it

It being at 85 ish and blowing back is the concern to me. Water doesn’t boil until 100 degrees so logic says it’s pressure related to me. 

Id be hopeful of the rad cap 🙂

Just now, quarrybends said:

It being at 85 ish and blowing back is the concern to me. Water doesn’t boil until 100 degrees so logic says it’s pressure related to me. 

Id be hopeful of the rad cap 🙂

I'll order a new one now and hopefully that will make the difference :)

Water pressurised @ 15psI (1.1bar) will  boil @ 256 'F (125 C) so if it's boiling @ 85 deffo as qb says lack of pressure in system . New rad cap is cheapest first option to check. 

I've just flushed the system and cleaned a bit of gunk from the cap and ran to 105 and no water out the breather pipe into the bottle. Made sure cap and hoses etc were tight so fingers crossed its all good :) 

If it's a head gasket issue, though, just letting it run to 105C won't show you any water in the overflow. It's the high revs blowing exhaust gases into the coolant system that causes pressure that pushes coolant into the reservoir. Idling won't do that.

2 hours ago, Arran#22 said:

I've just flushed the system and cleaned a bit of gunk from the cap and ran to 105 and no water out the breather pipe into the bottle. Made sure cap and hoses etc were tight so fingers crossed its all good :) 

There's your tell tale head gasket sign, the gunk on the rad cap,oil getting into your cooling system. Do that pressure test soon . I personally would order a head gasket now.

5 hours ago, Tittys04 said:

If it's a head gasket issue, though, just letting it run to 105C won't show you any water in the overflow. It's the high revs blowing exhaust gases into the coolant system that causes pressure that pushes coolant into the reservoir. Idling won't do that.

+1  spot on T04.

14 hours ago, niloc nuts said:

There's your tell tale head gasket sign, the gunk on the rad cap,oil getting into your cooling system. Do that pressure test soon . I personally would order a head gasket now.

I wouldn't say it's oil in the system. I've had that problem on the 675 and this is different. I say gunk but it was only a tiny bit around the rubber bit on the cap. I will 100% have a pressure test done this weekend just to make sure its ok :)

Thanks for your help guys! 

Just now, niloc nuts said:

Hope your pressure test comes up OK, and good luck with the 8 hr @ Donni'.

Cheers buddy :) Thanks for your help really appreciate it!

Get that pressure tested Arran. No way it should be spitting water out at 85deg. You might be lucky and it just be the rad cap, but I'd suggest that sounds more head gasket. When you change cap, also pull off all the hoses and give them a good clean out where they mount, and make sure all the clips are tight and in good condition.

Don't be temped to run clear coolant to race either as if you crash and spunk it all over the track, you'll make a right mess and it can be dangerous - Especially if your bike's throwing it out the expansion bottle

11 hours ago, Bodd said:

Do you run a rad guard... if so remove and see if happens again

I can't see that stopping it from boiling at 85 degrees :D