magicwheels

Starting out @14

That's my boy turned 14 , he wants o get on the big tracks now and move on from minimoto , is there's any track day or race clubs that allow this age bracket out for practice , he has his licence but awaiting a assessment date , 

Storm Stacey (moto3 rider) has been riding round on an R6 and he's only 14 too, I'm sure it was at 3 sisters. Might be worth asking them...many of the non MSV owned circuits don't check for licences when signing on...

Edited by Mitch636

Just my opinion, but the approach of actively looking for venues or events which don't check licenses is irresponsible and very high risk, and not to be recommended. If your son gets out on track in this way then that's super for him, but his inexperience means he's also likely to make a mistake and maybe cause harm to others people or bikes, and it's not fair. I'd be pissed if I was taken out by a young lad who was on track only by virtue of not having his license checked at signing on... as would, I suspect, most others.

I'm not sure about the exact options and technicalities for current clubs and classes, but I'm sure that Dave/Bernie Stewart @ Thundersport, and Mike/Tracey @ BMCRC, will both be very happy to discuss the options through with you and find a route forwards!

BMCRC: 01708 720305

Thundersport: 01509 678888

Hope this helps!

-Rob

If he's only ridden mini moto, get him to step onto something more inbetween that and a big bike before you start taking him on track days where he'll be mixing in with 600's and 1000's.
Plenty of kids his age and younger ride and race pit bikes or metrakits, which is a good stepping stone with gears to a bigger bike, and you can ride them on Kart tracks at any age on practice days, which will get him up to speed far quicker than dumping him at the deep end at a trackday where it might scare the life out of him (I'm assuming he's only ridden mini motos so far)
My son's 11, and he raced Mini moto in the british champs (Cool-Fab), and is now moving onto a metrakit. He's been riding a 140cc 4 speed pit bike for about a year now, and has just moved into racing a Metrakit GP50, which is a good stepping stone for him to do his ACU when he turns 12 and possibly race in Superteens or something similar if he wants.

My boy is 16, done some moto x but now wants road/track time, he's 6ft plus and built like a brick sugar house, done a Ron Haslam day and wants to switch into track based riding, surely to big for metrakit?  What and where can he ride now with an ACU license?